Thursday, May 8, 2014

Compliments

An elderly lady was leaving the dining room after eating last night, she is one of my quieter dinner guests that smiles politely as she leaves. I stand at the door every evening shaking hands and thanking our guests for coming. I initiate general conversation and wish them a good evening. This is how I learn about them.

Last night my quiet elderly lady who usually just smiles and says a soft, "Thank you" stopped and said, "On behalf of myself and everyone here, thank you for being here." How kind.

The night before last I was having a really rough day which made it tough to feign being a pleasant dinner hostess. A young man motioned me over to his table and asked me when I was taking over the meal ministry and proceeded to tell me that I made the whole atmosphere better by being there. That they love laughing at my jokes I open with before reading scripture, that I light up the room being so kind, and that many have noticed there are no issues or bad behavior in the dining room the evenings that I work. That when I am not there and my predecessor is handling the meal the dinner guests talk through scripture reading, are rude, and confrontations happen. 

I've heard that many times.  

I have a couple of shelter men who are resident advisers that help in the kitchen. These guys only need to help out maybe 4 hours per day are working often 12-16 hours per day because they want me to be a complete success. They go over, above, and beyond every day 100% for me.  I have to get on them and make them rest because all three have health issues. They do it for me and you know I make them feel like rock stars!  

I have shelter men who are not resident advisers who jump up without being asked when the dining room is in full swing of serving to clean off, reset tables, and prepare for the second meal sitting. 

I have dinner guests who will see the dirty dishes tray start to fill up and will carry it into the kitchen as they are walking out the door in contribution. I lavishly praise them then see them doing it quickly again when the need arises knowing I see how helpful they are. 

On a side note: When I am driving through downtown, I see my dinner guests walking all over the place. We smile and wave to each other. They are the homeless people that you see in your own city. Often dirty, wearing a lot of clothing and coats even when it is warm out. Many are in need of a shave and a shower, but let me remind you that they are kind with such good hearts, just in a rough place in life.

I never worry if we don't have a volunteer church/business group show up to serve for the evening, because I have tables full of shelter guys that are trained professionals that will strap on an apron and serve in a heart beat. 

It is such a neat community and environment. 

I am so blessed.