Monday, October 21, 2013

"Hi, Dawn!"

My last day at home is everything typical. The sun is shining, my windows are open on this brisk autumn day and my phone rings ... it's the middle school.

Brooke's new segway into conversation, "Hi mom, it's me. Are you home?" Quickly I assess this is a take-it or leave-it situation. She asks for Tums because her stomach is upset and I agree to deliver her request on the grounds that her stomach was really bothering her yesterday.

The new middle school security process is when you walk up you press the button and an automated reply states for you to state your name and reason for coming to the school.

Listening to the memorized instructions I wait for the prompt to speak ... "Hi, Dawn! Come on in."

That would be the office staff who knows me as well as the clinic.

I smile and ask if there are by chance any other parents that visit as often as I? Chris, the main office secretary smiles, waits a few seconds [I appreciate the careful thought she is about to share] sighs and she says, "Yes, there are some that visit daily." Whew!

Feeling momentarily better I shared today is my last day at home and Chris was openly happy for me as well as the clinic secretary who knows me well now, too.

That was my segway into sharing with both of them that tomorrow I begin a new job and with that there are new rules for Brooke. Please do not call me unless she is having a near-death experience.

They both laugh, but totally get it.

They are both moms and my advocates when it comes to handling my little frequent flyer drama queen.

The clinic secretary says, "Hey, I was looking in your account and see that Mariah is your daughter, I hadn't made the connection until now. I loved Mariah!"  Credibility eases into my bones. Yes, I have successfully raised one child who isn't near the maintenance as this one.

What would my last day at home be without a visit to the middle school?

"Hi, Dawn!" The realization that I have crossed over the healthy boundary of school visits.