Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Summer of Mariah

Summer is here for my girls and I now have a Senior and an 8th grader.

This will be the summer of Mariah.

This is her first summer of freedom as an experienced driver as she runs endlessly from one fun social event to another.

This is the summer she turns 18, for her it is is bittersweet.

This is her last summer as a high school student/kid.

This is the summer her dad will pass.

For my little girl who is excited to be an adult, yet knows the changes that will bring, Mommy is right here on the sidelines cheering you on.

I will tie my hair back at times and jump in the race to run along side of you to share your world. I will knock over obstacles to prevent you from getting hurt and I will be there to hug you, kiss your cheeks and tell you, "Shhhhh, it's okay, mommy's here" when you fall down.

I trust you completely as a young woman of faith, but will define those safe boundaries for you when you embrace your flair for fun and your highly adventurous side.

I will help open every door of opportunity you feel is your destiny and will gently remind you that your plans A, B, and C in life very well may change.

When your heart is breaking, I will teach you how to sit still. I will remind you to "Make time for the quiet moments as God whispers and the world is loud."

We celebrate life!  I will encourage you and remind you often the value of girlfriends, what a gift they are, and to always make time with them.

As you go on your first road trip adventure, I will pray for 10,000 angels to guide your way.

My job has been to raise you, love you, and protect you. As you enter the Summer of Mariah, know how proud I am of the young woman you are, that I give you your freedom to fly, but not without a million prayers of protection, and for me it is bittersweet, too.