Friday, December 28, 2012

The Sweetest Phone Call

I received the sweetest phone call tonight from a friend I had a falling out with months ago.

We had a couple major differences of opinion on important topics and I pretty much said, "We have nothing in common, stop calling me."

Tonight his picture popped up on my cell phone when he called and I decided to let bygones be bygones and answered nicely.

I asked how his Christmas was when he said, "Please just let me say this ... (I think he thought I was going to shut him down, again) ... we have been friends for a lot of years and you know how important you are to me. I'm sorry if I said something to offend you (he knew that I knew he was referring to a Facebook post), Dawn, I would never do anything to offend you and I will be more careful in the future, but I don't want to start off the new year without things being right between us, you mean too much to me."

I smiled listening to him.

Our friendship goes back 11 years. I was 31 years old, he was 20. I am now 42 years old and he is 30. I still shake my head at this boys adoration of me.

I told him I'm glad he called, agreed we are still friends, and a fresh start is fine.

"Can we get together for a drink or coffee sooner rather than later? At least within the week?"

Such a sweet boy.