Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Turning 13

My youngest baby, Brooke, is now a teenager. When my oldest turned 13, I couldn't believe I had a teenager. Now my baby is a teenager, too.

Of course, I am reflective.

Memories of her birth, her toddler years, her personality now that was her then fine-tuned into such an impressive young woman. I knew she would be. Both of my girls are. I say that biased as their proud mom and I say that unbiased from the praise they receive from everyone who knows them.

A month before Brooke's birthday it was a battle that ended in a very heated argument between Brooke and I. As she approaches the 2nd year anniversary of her dad's death, she didn't want to recognize her birthday. She didn't want to celebrate it or receive a single present from anyone.

I didn't plan her birthday party production until the week before.

My heart bleeds when her's bleeds. I cry when she cries. Ignoring her 13th birthday wasn't going to happen.

She yelled through tears that her dad is dead and she doesn't want to celebrate. I yelled right back, "He chose not to live! You are alive and we celebrate life!"  I will crawl into her pit when she is there, but it was time to drag her out of her pit and I did.

Brooke had two wishes for her birthday: to swim with dolphins or ride 4-wheelers like she used to with her dad.

I have a friend who is a motorcross enthusiast I had reconnected with, thanks to Facebook. He set everything up and told me where to be and what time on Brooke's birthday. Brooke was excited and surprised when I told her she wasn't going to school that morning, that we were going 4-wheeling!


Brooke was excited when I called her off school, "Brooke won't be in today, today is her 13th birthday and I have special plans for her." The morning spent 4-wheeling, a family birthday party with karaoke, and her birthday party with friends over the weekend at Dave & Busters and a mall scavenger hunt made for a 13th birthday that Brooke said, "This is the best birthday ever!"

I like making their wishes and dreams happen.

Make a wish baby girl, I hope all your wishes come true! 

Happy 13th birthday ...