Thursday, August 4, 2011

A New Car and a Road Trip!

I always do something for myself around my birthday.  I’m not sure why? 

This year, my Mariah is turning 16 years old and it is time to have a 2nd car in the family.  Turning 41 years old, I feel it should be sporty and fun simply on the grounds that I can!

I order a fun and sporty car.  Only found out-of-state, shipped in, with a sport package slapped onto it upon arrival. 

One would think that would be enough, but then I have a dear friend summoning me to join her at the beach for a little rest & relaxation, girlfriend style!

I need a getaway.  To the beach. No kids.  No men.  Just sunshine, a few drinks, the beach, laughter and girlfriend time!

I text my ETA to Karen, she says she will be waiting for me “in the land of I don’t give a flip!”  That is exactly where I want to visit.

I ask her to chill me a glass of “it’s all about me!”  She assured me she has purchased every bottle to drink on the island.  Champagne and cake await my arrival.  She has everything covered, girlfriends do!  

The shack she said she leased ocean front on Carolina Beach, NC was not at all a shack!  Now I can stop worrying about her.

I arrived to champagne cork popping, a beautiful spread of appetizers and my bedroom set up with an agenda titled “dreamy days off” with birthday gifts galore!

I have arrived!

Days spent smelling the salty air and splashing our feet it the ocean as we walked along the beach talking and picking up sea shells.

Nights spent dining and listening to live music under the stars. The Reggae band was the best!!

I like to run away sometimes.

It only takes a couple of days with a dear friend in the sunshine to rejuvenate in a very busy life.

I hope my girls each have their own special place or girlfriends to run to someday ... everyone needs a beach getaway.