Friday, June 3, 2011

Phase 2

Mariah and I are pulling out of our driveway alone in the car together when she says, “Can you believe Mike & I have been dating for two months?” 

“Wow, how do you feel about that?  Do you feel the same way towards him or are your feelings changing?”, I ask.  Mariah admits she feels he is too emotional and he is getting on her nerves. 

My Mariah is not needy or clingy of a boy for attention.  She is healthy and recognizes he is a bit dramatic and her focus and excitement is on summer basketball.  Good call, baby girl! She is 15 years old and emotionally exactly where she needs to be!

Phase 1- “Isn’t love wonderful! <3” is now over.

Mariah asks if Billy gets on my nerves?  Absolutely!  In all our glory and weakness we are human.  Boys are emotional creatures, far more sensitive than women from my perspective. Billy and I have very healthy boundaries that do not come close to arguing. The second he senses my aggravation, he wants to talk about it and ensure we are on the same page or if I am over the top annoyed, he stays clear until I’ve cooled off.  It works for us.

I explain to Mariah that the honeymoon of the relationship, where life is rose colored glasses, blossoming flowers and “he” is perfect … is over.  She has entered Phase 2.

Phase 2 – “You are on my nerves!” My Mariah is just 15 years old. Focus on sports, have fun with your girlfriends, boys will be there forever! 

I like Mike, he is a good boy.  Mariah has no tolerance for clingy and emotional and I couldn’t be happier!

A wholehearted relationship is not possible unless each person is committed to choosing love first.  Not just the big things, but the seemingly small things as well. This will come down the road, when she is much older and ready for a committed relationship. Until then … my hope is my girls graduate, live at home, go to college, secure good jobs, dance, shop, travel, date and no serious boys until they are 30!  =)