Monday, June 13, 2011

A Bird Nest - Part 2

A few things have happened in the last three weeks since momma bird made her nest.

It was about one week after the next was cleverly engineered that momma bird had her eggs.  I was mowing my yard one evening in preparation for mulch to be delivered when I spotted in my front flower bed four tiny blue eggs.  My heart dropped … she had her eggs outside because the garage door was closed.

As insignificant as it seems, this mother bird painstakingly prepared for her babies to come into this world with more maternal instinct then some humans have and with such a heart for single parenting I had to try to help save these eggs.

I called a wildlife agency that never returned my very detail phone message. I searched the internet and basically learned that if I left the eggs outside, other animals would eat them for their protein.

Knowing you cannot touch a nest or eggs I used two dirt covered shovels to scoop the eggs up, climbed the latter in my garage and carefully placed them in the nest.

“Please come back to your eggs, momma bird.”

She did come back and I was ecstatic!

My garage door is left open as long as possible now. She is a nervous bird.  Momma bird and I run into each other in my garage quite a bit.  She usually flies off wildly.  When I go to walk downstairs I look out the window and see her sitting in her nest and I am filled with relief!

I was on the patio the other evening and momma bird sat on my fence and sang for several minutes.  Then she flew over to the patio and stood there on the patio wall 10 feet away.  It was the closest she has ever been to me by choice. She chirped and chirped.

Nature is simply fascinating.