Friday, May 27, 2011

Keep Watch!

I have been restless.

Really restless in the sense that everything and everyone has frustrated just about everything out of me.

In the midst of my frustration I am tempted in many ways. Each of us has our “hot button(s)” where temptation knows it can be a subtle thought and grow out of control.

My temptations start off subtly then turn into tornadic winds, which become a spiritual battle.

Temptations are a part of life. Sometimes we have to look at them for exactly what they are and make a decision.  Do we entertain and embrace our thoughts or chose to recognize them for what they are and turn to the only One who can calm the winds.

Sometimes God calms the raging storms and sometimes God allows the storms to rage and calms us.”

A week ago, I asked to God to show me the clarity that I needed. My Magical Highlighter came through as He always does and pointed the way. I knew as soon as I saw it was my answer. Kept in my heart and in the back of my mind, it wasn’t until last night that the storm calmed in my heart.

Sometimes the answers don’t come right away.

Waiting is uncomfortable and frustrating. When I hang and do what is right just a little bit longer, the sunshine begins peaks above the clouds, the winds stop, clouds disappear and it is summer in my heart.

In life I have learned the more you try to do what is right, the bigger your battles become.

This morning I read “Keep Watch!” by Gwen Smith. Closure to the last few weeks and my reminder that God can handle all things, if I just turn it over to Him.

Keep Watch! By Gwen Smith

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith… (1 Peter 5:8-9a, NIV).

As believers in Jesus Christ, you and I must guard our hearts and watch over our homes. The Bible warns Christians to keep watch. Beyond things seen, there are spiritual battles taking place around us continually. If you are a believer and follower of Jesus Christ, then you have an enemy and his name is Satan. If you live to listen to the voice of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, then strap on your battle gear, girlfriend, because your enemy has a mission to destroy you. Beware!
          
In John 10:10, Jesus warns that though His plan for us is protection, love and help, the enemy … Satan … “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full.”
          
The Bible has a lot to say about this. It tells us time and time again to be alert to the schemes of Satan. To keep watch. “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith…”(1 Peter 5:8-9a, NIV).
          
Though we have an enemy with a real plan to mess with our emotions, our health, our marriages, our children, our relationships and our thoughts, we are not without help or hope. We have both. God’s power and protection are readily available to believers, 24/7. “But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one” (2 Thessalonians 3:3, NIV).

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people” (Ephesians 6:10-18, NIV).