Monday, May 2, 2011

Springtime Walk in the Park

I stopped by Starbuck’s and picked up a Caffe Mocha for my springtime walk in the park Sunday afternoon.

A break in the rain. A needed walk alone.

As I was walking, I was watching all the busyness. Kids on the playground, a couple feeding the ducks by the pond, a dad hitting baseballs to his son and daughter, three teens playing basketball and couples walking.

Then the cutest thing happened … a couple with their little boy about 3 years old raced to the wooden bridge over a brook. Both the parents were winded, Dad crossed the finish line first, then mom.  The little boy reached the bridge, bent over and put his hands on his knees to breathe and decided to lie down. Mom was trying to pick up a very limp and worn our little boy, all I could do was laugh! 

Ahhhh … fond memories of the limp routine. It has been many years since my girls have gone limp on the ground. Mariah when she was little, she didn’t like to put her winter coat on would lie on the floor with her arms spread, limp and making it impossible to dress her. Brooke’s first day in kindergarten she hopped out of the car and fell backwards, laying on the ground from the weight of her backpack on her back. Only her lunch was in it and it couldn’t have weighed more than a pound. So ridiculous that I will never forget it and it still brings a smile to me.

I am enjoying my walk and I came up on the most beautiful tree that looked like cotton candy! 


I wish I had taken a picture; however, I found a picture so you can follow me here.  I know have a new favorite spring tree, a pink weeping cherry tree!  A must have for my home.

It was breathtaking! I love finding new favorites.

Then I walked up on two duck families.  The first family had the male and female with their baby ducklings. Both male and female standing still protecting their young while walkers passed by. The second family was a bit different.  A female, single mom duck with quite the team of ducklings behind her is moving quickly on a mission to get somewhere.  They approach the brook, momma duck goes in first. Baby ducklings, in a natural, single line formation follow the momma duck into the water. Momma duck does one quick turn of her head to ensure all of her babies are with her and swiftly swims off. Good job momma duck!

I find that I am lost in my own thoughts and see a park bench, a great view of a park in springtime. An old game I used to do with my girls, I would tell them to close their eyes and tell me everything they hear. When you close your eyes, you hear sounds that you didn’t hear beforehand. Sounds you don’t catch when your eyes are open.

 A springtime walk. Life bursting in bloom and in cotton candy splendor! Make time for a walk in a park.