Saturday, September 15, 2018

Differences


As a momma ... I cleaned my home constantly. Always on the move, always cooking, always cleaning, routine, routine, routine. Fingerprints, gone!

As a grandmomma ... My home is always clean. This morning I woke up to chubby little finger prints and kisses all over my leaning mirror and I smile as I envision my sweet granddaughter kissing the sweet baby in the mirror over and over. Her little hands leaving their print on the mirror and forever in my heart. Those aren't smudges, that is love. I will leave them there a while so I can look at them and smile.

It makes me laugh, the differences between a mom vs. grandmomma.

Then, there is the way to depart from a little one.

As a momma ... drop and dash!!!!

As a grandmomma ... there is a more gentle approach. As my mom said to leave while Sofia isn't looking, I couldn't stand the thought. My granddaughter cannot use her words to ask where I am, so I will not let her be distracted as I slip out the door and her worry about wondering where I am. That is cruel. So, we play the kissing game when I leave so she knows I am leaving and we make it fun.

The kissing game is when I am in my Jeep about to leave, I start the engine, roll down the window and someone has to run up to my car so she can give me goodbye kisses.

I back the Jeep up about a foot and this game continues down the driveway. After several run-ups and kisses, she is laughing and she understands I am leaving. Out of breath is the person who is holding her and running back and forth. A small price to pay for getting more time with her when I don't.

Now my granddaughter understands when I am leaving and it isn't traumatizing to her.

Traumatizing like when I walk from the living room to the kitchen and Sofia thinks I am leaving. She likes to know I am close by and immediately senses and voices panic if I walk out of a room.

My mom said, "It's so sweet how crazy Sofia is about you!"

I know she is. We are kindred spirits.