Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Bad News & Good News

When my Jeep broke down in WV Sunday evening the planets aligned and we were towed home to my favorite auto repair.

So many times, I look to heaven and simply say, "Please take care of this."

My eyes were open and I simply look upward and those were the only words said. No, "Amen." It's a prayer, but it's more of a relationship conversation.


The phone call came from the auto repair on Tuesday after they assessed what the problem was. "I've got bad news and I've got good news" he started off. "The bad news is, it's your accelerator and you were really lucky it didn't catch on fire. An accelerator will cost $800-some dollars for parts, then labor. It could have ruined your electrical something-something (auto terminology escapes me), we won't know until its repaired. I researched online to see if there were any recalls for this part and there was. Did you get a recall notification?" [Gulp]

I'm still thinking about $800+ labor + electrical something.

And, this is exactly why they are my favorite auto repair place. "I called [the local Jeep dealership] and inquired about the recall and they will replace the accelerator for you at no cost. Here is the guys name and number. There was another recall, did you get that in the mail? If we do the repair it will cost you, but they can do it at no charge."

He handled it all. Printed the recalls, had the details handled and he told me to ask them for a rental vehicle and I got one. No cost.

Brooke took me to the dealership to get my rental car and as I was being lectured on the safety importance of recalls, she was prattling off how I should treat them responsibly. I happily told her, "Good, because you have a recall on the Honda." Now, let's see her put on her big girl panties and deal with it.

I did ask for a cool vehicle for the next couple days and he hooked me up with a 2018 model.

So many times I look up to heaven, smile, and say, "Thank you!"