Monday, March 7, 2016

My Grandmother Passed Away

My grandmother passed away March 4, 2016. In tribute to my grandmother passing when others post photos on social media, I shared some of my blog posts I've written about her of some of my thoughts and memories. The very reason why I blog.

This was a walk down memory lane and a couple times, in a couple posts, I questioned if I would sense her passing when the day came. I didn't.

I didn't sense anything on Friday when she passed; however, during the days approaching her passing I had an incredible desire for a couple of days to jump in my car to see her. Now I wonder if that was something in the invisible realm nudging me to visit her in her final days.

I longed for the mountains and a few days away with my grandma and didn't go simply because she doesn't live alone anymore, my uncle and aunt moved in with her months ago. To which I am glad for her sake.

Because she no longer lived alone, I didn't go.

Tomorrow I leave for her funeral and the trip will be bittersweet.

Driving into the mountains that divide two very distinct worlds is a familiar trip I am looking forward to. The same path, the same stops, except the destination will be a hotel where my family will meet at.

The same scent of the paper mill, the same familiar town, and the beautiful Humpback Bridge and Rich Patch. I want to see it all.

This will be my last trip there.

I'm grateful for the memories and I'm grateful for the dear friendship I had with her. I smile at the memories of crazy conversations shared between us. Driving through the mountains, hearing countless stories of her life. Her loves and personal experiences. Her hopes, her dreams, and her prayers.

Dressing up and going for tea at the Greenbriar Hotel. Humpback Bridge and Rich Patch being my two favorite destinations there.

I will always smile at the day we were driving through the country and decided to go into the hot springs and of course we didn't have bathing suits with us so we went in naked. Her laughing and loving doing something so fun with her granddaughter, me.

She always laughed, always talked, and would talk endlessly sharing story after story. Her mind was sharp until her very end.

My grandma was ready to go and I will miss her.

Now, for that last trip into her beautiful mountains ...