Friday, December 4, 2015

Two Dinners = I Could EXPLODE!

Ladies, it is an unspoken, known rule in womanhood that we lavishly praise the man in our life for random acts of kindness and service we would like to see again. Somehow our daily acts of service fall under normal life and theirs ... theirs are worthy of praise.

This is where my dilemma beings.

David had two sets of plans for last night: time with Madeline or steak night with "the guys" in Thursday evening tradition. I threw a wrench in all plans when I learned of a "Light Up Downtown" event was taking place with fireworks as soon as I got off work.

It was a choice.

Then I learned all the events were happening while I was stuck at work, even the fireworks, canceling plans on our end.

MY VERSION

It's Taco Salad night at the mission, yum! Perfect timing. Eat dinner at the mission, David will eat dinner elsewhere and I can figure out something for Brooke. After all, I worked 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. and cooking was not on my agenda after a 12 hour shift.

Dinner was delish! As I am driving home David texts and asks me when I will be home, I called and said in moments. I see the grill is out and realize, my sweetheart has *surprised* me with dinner.

As I walk in the house, not only has he made dinner, he has both our plates prepared, the table set and every dinner detail covered. I am faced with a fast decision, confess I have eaten and squelch any future dinner surprises or eat with him (I am already full).


He asks the challenging question, "have you eaten?" "Only a bite of taco salad," is my safe reply. (Alarms and sirens are not going off in heaven I have lied!)

"Would you like pickles? I took two (little round sweet pickles, probably a dead giveaway).

Perhaps if I remove the bun off the burger it will cut down on a 2nd plate of food in my already full stomach.

I forgot to add, he even went to the store and picked up chips, dip/salsa and beverage to complement our meal. Anything negative would be perceived as insult to the act of kindness/service.

Dear God, another bite and I will explode.

At the end of our meal (my 2nd) he states, "You already ate dinner didn't you?" [The challenge laid on the table.]

HIS VERSION

Knowing I worked 12 hours, he steps up to welcome me home with all things dinner done.

He sees me remove my bun off the burger to get as little down as possible, nibble at a chip, smile and appreciate him. He knows full well that I have already eaten dinner and more like a plate, not just a bite because he knows I love Taco Salad.

He watches me. When I cannot possible eat another thing he calls me out.

I fall on the sword of appreciating him and fear of him going to the store, cooking dinner, setting the table, preparing all the details of our plates will be smashed forever in all eternity.

Somehow he knew from the start and watched me squirm and be miserable eating two dinners because I lied saying I only took a bite of Taco Salad.

That was mean.

Worn out from such a long work day, tapped out in emotional drain from all I dealt with throughout the day, ready to explode with two dinners inside me, judged for lying ... technically, my dishonest answer of protection to him certainly falls under a category more of sainthood versus shady liar.

He chose to forgo other plans for the evening to take care of me after a long day. That was incredibly sweet. Letting me eat two plates of food when he pretty much guessed I had already eaten was not sweet.

Just you wait until the day the roles are reversed. If I get a catch a scent, hint or clue he has already eaten, I will fall into the role of grand sainthood, love and servanthood and stuff him like a turkey!!

He needs to come to the table for as long as it takes until I forget last night, hungry and ravenous.