Sunday, November 22, 2015

Thank God It's Over!

Months of planning, the last two weeks of all my focus, the last couple days of 12 hour days putting all the finishing touches on the rescue missions Holiday Gala, thank God it's over! And, I mean that.

The venue was beautiful. The triple Christmas trees decorated with a photographer set up for capturing photos of dinner guests.


The tables were beautifully set and I was especially pleased with the centerpiece. The conference center had just bought the glass candle holders, but it was a bit plain with nothing underneath. I ordered some fresh cedar and picked up pine cones and a sprig of silver splash and it came together beautifully.


The cork pull was a lot of fun. Bottles ranging from wine purchased from the George Washington estate, brought in from Napa Valley all the way down to Boone's Farm for a good laugh.


Silent auction tables were filled with a variety of items from a beautiful Kate Spade purse, golfing at country clubs, hotel stays, fine dining, spa-la-la'ing and more.

I was pleased with each auction item description I had to individually create looked beautiful on the table.



Dinner was beautifully presented. I went with an island theme to complement the evenings entertainment. Pictured is a Coconut Lime Salmon, Jerk Chicken and I really don't know what the side dish was.


Dessert a key lime mini pie and a chocolate mousse in an edible chocolate cup. It truly was delish!


I even ensured the OSU vs. Michigan game was available to dinner guests in the lobby. 


Aesthetically I was very pleased, that part I controlled.

I am not going to nitpick the things I could not control completely, such as the registration process which wasn't even completely set up when dinner guests poured through the door 20 minutes before it was supposed to even open. The auctioneer who veered off track with the flow of the evening agenda and didn't live auction the Rescue Mission Christmas Catalog, which left much money on the table. The entertainer from the off-Broadway show STOMP, I felt did more self-promoting than mission-focused. My team who I should have known better was not capable of graciously handling the registration/check-out process in style and class. (Yes, I said it.) Each of them knew what their role was going into the evening. Two claimed they didn't know what their role was. Another two kept disappearing and not staying on task (I hate hunting down people to tell them, man your post!). One who wasn't in her comfort zone stepped back and kept asking, "Do you need help?" I knew limitations, but I still expect others to step up and give 100%.

I can have everything picked up and every detail present and ready, but I cannot do all things once the production is is motion and I am depending on others to fill a role.

As the host of the Gala I tried to oversee everything from keeping the agenda on timeline, assist with the auction process capturing bidder numbers, step up and fill in for the cork pull (during the final call and my set two people sat in their chairs as if that wasn't their responsibility for the evening), be present for registration/checkout, as well graciously meet and speak with guests.

I am glad it is over.

Today begins a couple days off for me of rest, relaxation and rejuvenation. It is needed.