Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sweet 16

I remember how magical 16 years old sounded to me almost 30 years ago and my youngest turned that magical number today.

The year she can get her drivers license.

The year she can get that job at Hot Topic she has wanted for two years now.

More freedoms.

As she woke up, I started playing "16 Candles" by The Crests and was surprised she had never heard that song before, but quickly loved it.

My mom sent her the song, "Happy Birthday Sweet 16" by Neil Sedaka.

Turning 16 is an age songs were made for.

As we are driving in the car to church to start her special day with David and Alex and I wanted to set a fun tone and played the Neil Sedaka song for her. She asked me to play 16 Candles.

Happy birthday, happy birthday, baby
Oh, I love you so

A wave of emotion hit me (which is the opposite of the tone I wanted in the car for celebration sake).

In the midst of her special day, someone important isn't here and my heart broke for her. Grief can blindside at any given moment.

The song filled the air.

Sixteen candles make a lovely light
But not as bright as your eyes tonight
(As your eyes tonight, oh)
Blow out the candles
Make your wish come true
For I'll be wishing that you love me, too
(That you love me, too)
Breathing and redirecting thoughts became a battle I could not win.

My heart broke for her and tears wouldn't cooperate and stop.

You're only sixteen (sixteen)
But you're my teenage queen
(You're my queen)
You're the prettiest
Loveliest girl I've ever seen
(I've ever seen, oh)
Sixteen candles in my heart will glow
For ever and ever for I love you so
(For I love you so)
Brooke had a wonderful day.

Happy sweet 16.