Thursday, March 20, 2014

Barely Enough


I went in my office last night and closed the door to prepare for the devotion before the meal for well over 100 dinner guests, familiarizing myself and wrapping my mind around the scripture I was presenting.

Having one of those days where I wasn't sure I had anything left to tend to anyone, much less than being a vessel to feed their souls, when my own tank was running on empty. It's been a long year worrying about many different life issues.

I saw a devotion that came through my email late in the afternoon that I had not read. God, speak to me ...

If you’ve been under pressure for a long time and have difficulty making ends meet, it’s easy to develop a limited mindset. “I’ll never get out of this ... ” Or, “I’ll never have enough ... ” No, that may be where you are now, but that’s not where you have to stay. God is called El Shaddai, the God of More than Enough! Not the God of Barely Enough. Not the God of Just Help Me Make it Through. No, He’s the God of Overflow!
                 
Today, no matter what you may be experiencing, stir yourself up in faith and declare who God is in your life. Declare that He is well able; declare that He is more than enough! Declare that your cup runs over with the blessing and victory He has prepared for you.
I wanted to cry. I want to replace worry with abundance and bask in feeling prosperous, successful, and the peace of security in many areas of my life. 
I step up to the podium with a smile on my face, a warm greeting, and a funny joke. We are studying in the book of Jude and I am doing my best to explain this letter that Jude wrote to the people in life application. Prayer requests and praise are taken.
The sweetest, little red-haired, angelic yet ornery, 4 year old boy walks to the middle of the room so he can be seen and says that his mommy found them a new house and he has a new baby sister. I don't think I have ever witnessed a child stepping up so young for a prayer request/praise in a room full of adults.
A long list of prayer requests and praises were shared and I get the opportunity to present them to a holy God, who has heard these requests shared from their lips and hearts. 
Praying behind a microphone as a leader every day is something very new to me. My conversations with God have always been intimate and private. To go to a very holy place and share my personal relationship with God in front of so many is a most unique situation. I don't pray long-winded, wordy prayers; rather, I stay true to myself and keep it very intimate. God is present. We talk all day.
As I am praying, sending requests to God I hear soft comments, "Thank you, Lord. Yes, be with them, Lord ... " My shelter guys, prayer warriors, believers, those facing life challenges in agreement and thanking God privately, yet out loud. 
Sometimes I wonder if I am getting all this right. Doing my best does not mean I am being successful, but it is so important to me that I am successful in every single area. Words of affirmations flow after the devotion. Affirming I am doing a good job, thanking me, appreciating what I am doing. These men I encourage daily, encourage me.  
Their affirmations are a healing balm when I try my best yet question if I am doing it right. I have never claimed to be the most equipped or the best trained. I claim that God equips, I am simply a willing vessel and I give 100% to them as I do with everything.  
Sometimes we have to stir up our own faith. Thank you, God, for reminding me that you are El Shaddai, the God of More than Enough when I am feeling barely enough.