Sunday, March 18, 2012

Franklin Creamsicle

I've realized I never told the story about Franklin Creamsicle.

Last summer, for Mariah's 16th birthday luau, Brooke had repeatedly asked the important question, "Who are you going to split my birthday gifts with?" After the 3rd time she asked, knowing she needed an answer, I told her that I would split her gifts with her daddy by using her social security as his 1/2 of the contribution. That was the magical answer she was looking for.

Brooke's birthday is November 8th and I started worrying about her 1st birthday without her daddy at the beginning of summer.

I wanted the "WOW" factor for her.

Let me back up a moment ... we have a cat named Mocha. Mocha doesn't care for Brooke. Brooke truly loves animals and desperately has wanted for years something to hold and love, thus began her quest to find an animal on the internet looking at turtles and a chinchillas.

She needs a persian of her very own.

Persians are expensive and I wanted to make sure I bought the perfect one, so began my search in five states for breeders with kittens ready to come home the beginning of November.

Boy or girl? Flat face or babydoll face? Solid color or multi?

I had about 15 pictures of newborn persians from breeders and needed to put a deposit on one. I had a plan! Sending the pictures to my colleague Rachel, in return she sent me an email with all this kittens stating, "These are my aunts kittens in California that are all sold, but aren't they cute?"

That was the start of needed conversations. Brooke said she wanted a boy and she fell in love with a little red & white kitten with the flat face and "sad" eyes. Beyond thankful, the breeder is located only 20 minutes south of Canton. I would have drove to New York or Wisconsin!



Carefully wrapping the kitten carrier in pretty birthday paper and a fun bow placing it on her bed, Mariah and I handed Brooke a homemade birthday card with the picture of the kitten she chose months earlier signed, All our love, Mommy & Daddy.

I'm thankful for the videotape that was rolling during the moment of her realization, a memory forever captured. The look on her face of confusion, yet excitement when I told her to look in her room ... it was love at first sight!

A very handsome Franklin Creamsicle is now 6 months old and a member of our family.


Brooke's 12th birthday by far was the best!