Saturday, September 17, 2011

Single Is a Season

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: … a time to plant and a time to uproot … a time to tear down and a time to build … a time to embrace and a time to refrain … a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend … a time to love 
                                                                        ECCLESIASTES 3:1-3, 5-8

Being single is a gift. A gift to be lived. A time to appreciate. It is only a season.

A time to allow yourself to heal before you attempt to love.

I appreciate this time in my life and often wonder if I would be climbing the walls if I were in the confines of marriage. I’m guessing I would be. I love love. I also love the freedom of unlimited opportunity.

For the most part I am routine, structure and calm. Then the wind blows … and my unsettled spirit comes alive.

So many choices in life. Unlimited options, I embrace you.  

One of my favorite authors, Michelle McKinney Hammond writes:

In other words, take the time that you’ve been given to become the best you that you can be.  Redeem the time.  Don’t just tread water, go somewhere. Move forward and upward. Prepare yourself. Occupy your life fully until someone asks you to make room for him. Enjoy this season, for you know not when the weather will change. Yes, my sister, keep time and know that change is inevitable.

For my friends who look at single as a negative of being “alone” … change your perspective and look at it for the blessing of what it really is.

Make the most of this season.