Sunday, September 4, 2011

Realization

re·al·i·za·tion

  • the act of realizing or the state of being realized.
  • an instance or result of realizing.

Friday night football and Brooke asks to go hang out with her friends.

No, she is only 11 years old.

Mariah and I are driving to drop her off at the game when Mariah asks why Brooke doesn’t want to go?  I explain that a very disappointed Brooke is too young.

Mariah reminds me that I let her “see & be seen” at football games when she was Brooke’s age.

I did?

Realization hits me. Hard.

Yes, Brooke is in the middle school.  A natural progression in life after elementary school.  Old enough to hang out with friends at a game?  I am uncertain why that feels so significant to me.

I call Brooke and tell her she can go and to quickly get ready.

Spirit wear is important!  We raid Mariah’s closet.  Finding a shirt, wild socks and tennis shoes.  Mariah sees her sister and asks if she had fun raiding her closet? Brooke beams.  She is alive and she has arrived!

Friday night football. A sea of purple and gold. Lights. Excitement. Kids everywhere.

I sit in the middle of the grand stand seating. Safely where my kids are cool and independent.  Under watchful eye for safety sake.

Fortunately, at half-time Brooke had enough. She doesn’t do well in crowds and was getting hot and feeling claustrophobic. 

Thrilled I let her see & be seen, Friday night football was pure satisfaction.

Another unexpected realization that both my girls are truly becoming independent young ladies.