Monday, October 2, 2017

A Grain, Seed or Nut?

Quinoa is a super food that quite honestly confuses me. You cook quinoa like a grain, botanically speaking it is a seed, but tastes like a nut.

I am in a very grainy-texture season in life.

I'm addicted to the taste and texture of steel cut oats with ground walnuts added and quinoa. It's the texture and health benefits of quinoa that has inspired new favorite recipes:

 - Vanilla yogurt, quinoa mixed with cinnamon, banana slices and peanut butter melted and drizzled on top. Sometimes I add honey.

  - Every morning I look forward to my chocolate protein shake in the blender with ice. Ahhhh, add a 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa and now my chocolate protein shake has a nutty flavor with texture and 6 additional grams of protein.

Did I mention Aldi's has their autumn season Maple Leaf Cream cookies and their Spiced Apple Cider packets available? I love autumn.

I happen to know where the BEST maple ice cream in town is located, too!

Yes, it's lunchtime and today I have a three hour split during lunch. The sun is shining, the weather warm and I have accomplished a ton.

Be careful with those yummy Maple Leaf Cream cookies though, they are 110 calories each!