Friday, June 6, 2014

My 1st Cry

In all the remarkable situations that happen every day at the rescue mission, last night was the first time I couldn't stop the tears.

One of the shelter men, the strong silent type, the very one that doesn't talk but will smile and say, "Okay" to any request I make then work his butt off for me entered my office last night ... 

About one month ago, Paul, my good friend, right-hand man in the kitchen and the very one who makes me so successful in my role in the meal ministry, approached me that there is another shelter guy with a lot of kitchen experience and asked if we could have him help in the kitchen in a main cooking role. I readily agreed and had a conversation with him.

He is the strong silent type. Never talks. I don't know his story (Many readily share details of their lives and continue to shock me while some never say a word and I completely respect their privacy). A super hard worker and I mean the guys sweat cooking in the hot kitchen, and hauling often thousands of pounds of donations.

Every day I lavishly thank them and praise them for their hard work. 

A month has rolled by and he continues to remain quiet and gives me 100% in the kitchen and with projects outside the kitchen doing anything I ask with a positive attitude.

A week ago, he asked if his son could spend the afternoon with him working in the kitchen as he had gone to culinary school. Absolutely! 

His boy came yesterday and in typical kitchen fashion, we had fun working, laughing and made his boy the designated taste-tester with our dishes and desserts.  A great job for a high school graduate. 

Last night before I was leaving to go home, he knocked on my door and asked if I had a minute to talk. 

I wasn't prepared for his cautious honesty as he shared the high-level view of what happened in his life that landed him with us in the rescue mission. Details I would have never guessed or assumed. A story unlike any other that I had heard. A television worthy story.

Then he thanked me.  He told me he hadn't seen his son in a couple of years and yesterday afternoon was their first time together. How much he appreciated my allowing his son to come in, work with us, and welcome him so warmly. That it was the first time he felt like a dad in years. [The realization of what happened in the kitchen unbeknownst to me opened the flood gates.]

He said, "You thank me every single day for working hard for you and it is me who should thank you. You and [a shelter director] have saved my life with your kindness, praise, and by allowing me to work hard and making me want to be a better man." He thanked me for the opportunity of an afternoon with his son.

I am listening silently and respectfully, but the tears are falling.

He has struggled over the years with God, but kindness, love, and appreciation is healing his heart in ways I was not even aware. 

The strong silent type, opened the window in heartfelt appreciation for the opportunity to spend the day with his son who is about to move across the country with his mother. 

So much was happening in the mission yesterday that I don't always fully understand. 

Thanking me for daily kindness and encouragement as a man has made him feel as if I was part of saving his life.

I had no idea the profound impact I was playing. With tears falling in realization of all that was happening I was not even aware of, I hugged him. 

Today begins another day. 

Lives are in transition. Struggles I can't even comprehend walk through the doors by the hundreds. The needs are great and the resources are little. 

As I run a meal ministry feeding the hungry, I pray for wisdom, discernment, gentleness, praise, patience, grace and strength to be open to be used exactly where God needs me most.