Thursday, February 10, 2022

Unexpected Treasures

 


Sometimes I find myself trying to wrap my head around my thoughts between the world of "what is our life going to look like together" prior to us living together versus "what life really is."

My biggest worry was sharing a bathroom. My wonders were... will we be on the same sleeping schedule? Will I feel obligated to have to cook dinner every night? Being single, you eat what you want, when you want. Is he tidy? What is he like crabby? It was little things I wondered about. 

The reality is... sharing a bathroom is nothing at all. Our schedules are slightly different enough where there isn't a conflict. He is actually a better cook than me! Wow, what an unexpected, super blessed surprise!! We cook together most nights. If I'm working, he cooks, if he's working, I cook. We eat REALLY well and extremely clean. 

David is very tidy. I am as well and it actually matters. Out of all the household chores, the one I like least is emptying the dishwasher. Honestly, I would rather wash a toilet, I don't like putting dishes away. He does it for me. It's an act of service that is so sweet. He makes coffee every morning, which I love. He empties the dishwasher and I pack his lunch.

People in general are emotional rollercoasters, David is not. He is the most even, positive, always happy and loving and I find I have security in that and in him. 

Last week, I was at the training center, he was teaching, and I was able to sit in on his class. He's such a man's man. As I sat their watching him in his element naturally commanding attention and teaching law enforcement how to handle a host is situations, I smiled to myself and thought of the man he is in my life. Incredibly loving, super affectionate, he showers me in words of affirmations every day and when we are home, we are in the kitchen cooking together, on the couch cuddling binge watching favorite shows, and going to bed and waking up together. Always touching. Always loving. Always affectionate. Every day. 

It's safe to say he loves his career and with a very busy work schedule, he kept his promise and now has Sunday's off so we can go to church together. I know how big that is for him and I know he did it because he loves me and wants that for us. 

Working so much I was worried we wouldn't vacation much together. One vacation down and the next two vacations booked only months away. He has made it a priority. 

I love him and I love us. It may have taken me 50 years to find him which sounds like a really long time. Believe me, it was a lifetime!! But, he is so, absolutely, and totally worth it all! 

Thank you, God.