Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Post Surgery Stent Removal

 


First, let me start off by saying my sincere apologies to the select few whom I text photos of my own stents post-removal. In fairness, I wasn't thinking clearly or logically and in mortification, didn't think that perhaps there was a photo of clean stents online.

This is it [photo shows actual size if looking at this on a laptop]... this is what was removed post surgery. Ignorance is bliss, no wonder my entire face hurt, it had to be behind my eyeballs. 

Surgery started off so pleasant, a walk in the park and a day out with only a slight headache. That was the devil's lie called surgical meds. A false illusion of what actual discomfort the meds were covering. 

Fast forward beyond Vicodin nights to my stent removal follow up appointment yesterday. I shared with the physician I was excited to get the cat of nine tails out of my nose. My entire face hurt nonstop and airflow wasn't happening. He said he would remove the stitches holding these stents in first so he can pull the stents out. I didn't know there were stitches. My body locked down and ready for my frontal lobe to be pulled out, when the doctor was done he said, "I need for you to breathe..." I guess I hold my breath in pain preparation. Both pulled out before I would look, so I didn't pass out... he said, "Take a deep breath..." 

I started crying. 

I couldn't believe the airflow I had. Almost 20 years of not breathing well happens so slowly, I learned to adapt to not breathing well, even with meds. A deviated septum + severe congestion (turbinectomy) made it difficult to breathe.

David & my dad immediately noticed I sound different when I talk. I still feel my abdomen lock into place to force air to talk, out of learned habit, it's going to take some getting used to.

I've had a constant headache from all the airflow in my head, as if an air conditioner is on high blowing straight into my face. I cannot believe how cool my throat feels, fresh air that flows through the nose cools the top of the throat, even on a warm day. Bet you never thought of that.

Sitting in a meeting yesterday, I noticed new smells I had never noticed. Breathing well is going to take some getting used to.

Me, I'm grateful it's over and I wish I never waited as long as I did.