Monday, August 26, 2019

One Wedding Request


A year ago, when Brooke & Alex chose their wedding date and that was shared with me, there was one more thing. Brooke said, "I have one request for my wedding [I'm thinking wedding detail requests], you have to come with a date." 

There it was, spoken into the universe.

"Brooke, I will handle all the details of your wedding and I want to be Mother of the Bride your wedding day, not worrying if a date is having a nice time." 

I'm pretty sure I remember her smiling saying, "find a date." 

Not ready to date, I zipped through my mental checklist of guy friends who would make a nice date. A date to my daughter's wedding is more significant than a dinner date. It also crosses over into my professional life. 

Fast forward one year ... 

I'm a private person. I keep what I want under lock and key until I am ready and a lot isn't necessarily shared in this blog.

Yesterday, Brooke text me she locked her keys in the car and I had her spare key. We stopped by my storage unit and I text her back, "Found it! We'll be there in 10 minutes."

I knew she didn't think a single thing of that.

When she walked out her door to come outside, there I sat in his fabulous Jeep with the doors and top off. It was fun to see the registration on her face and she acknowledge her shock with some sort of funny comment, because she is funny and I introduced them.

"Brooke this is Brian, Brian this is Brooke. Brian is going to be my date to your wedding." 

This wasn't the way I was going to introduce him to family, but the opportunity presented itself. Brooke should be the first to know, it's been really important to her. 

We've been dating.