Monday, January 15, 2018

A Little Thumb


Her bottle + fresh diaper change + snuggles on my lap + her favorite Netflix cartoons (My Little Pony and Minnie & Mickey Mouse w/Donald Duck and Huey, Dewey & Louie) = my sweet little granddaughter was ready for a nap. 

She has her own bedroom in my home, my former office/prayer room bright, airy and calming. I laid her down on her bed and she rolls around touching her pretty pillows. Laying next to her, our heads touching, I read her books when I could feel her little face looking at me.

It was such a sweet moment as I continued to read to her, wondering what she was thinking. 

Her little hands touching my face as if I was distracted and didn't notice. I let her take her inquisitive time when she put her little thumb in my mouth. Her beloved little thumb. 

Sofia loves her thumb.

We read books, talked to each other very close face to face and she fell asleep. 

I climbed out of bed, propped pillows up so she wouldn't roll and checked on her often. About 1-1/2 hours later I peaked in on her as she was just waking up and I go over to watch her. Her little eyes open and she sees me smiling at her. I want her to know I am there and I fall in love over and over with that sleepy little smile that lights up her face as she wakes up happy. 

All these moments count. 

Sofia loves my long, dark curls. Her eyes often wander to them and she reaches out and wraps her chubby little hands to touch them, one hand then both. I don't mind. I hope she has long, dark curls one day, too.

Yes, I lose hair in her tight little grips, there is so much though. I see it as less to thin out when I get my hair cut. 

Having a granddaughter is far, far, far greater than I ever dreamed. 

Her sharing her thumb with me was the sweetest thing.