Tuesday, October 25, 2016

"I said."

There is a recurring theme in the last couple books of the bible we've been going through during devotions in the books of Nahum and Habakkuk. 

At first, I was pretty put off. Growing up most of us learned the story of Jonah, the one who was told by God to go to Nineveh and tell the people to repent. Jonah ran, hid and ended up in the belly of a whale for three days. Given another chance, Jonah follows God's command, Nineveh repents, God spares. 

Then. Then, came the prophet Nahum 100 years after Jonah. Nineveh, then the most powerful nation on earth, seemingly invincible, is back to their old behaviors. Arrogant and rebelling against God. Nahum pronounced judgment on the nation and this powerful nation was in the end utterly destroyed.

The book of Nahum is only three chapters. Short. Powerful. Why was this book never shared? God spared, then came back and said, "I said." 

God sees all. 

Then comes the prophet Habakkuk, another three chapter book. Habakkuk boldly bringing questions and complaints to God on difficult topics on evil in the world and the wicked seem to be winning.

God begins to speak and tells Habakkuk to write it all down plainly so all will see and understand. Then, God. He does what he said He was going to do and He uses whatever He chooses to show that He is in control and will triumph. World powers crushed. He says, "I said."

This election is scary. Life uncertainties, injustices, wrongdoings leave me reeling out of balance. But, God. God doesn't miss a thing. He knows all, sees all, and has the final say. 

These two books of the bible says and emphasizes again and again what God said and judgment. Timing is everything and my soul is aware how what I am teaching applies directly to my own life. The theme in these two books, said once, then emphasized again has my undivided attention. My eyes open and my heart listening. Not at me; rather, as a comfort.