Friday, November 24, 2017

"Thank You For Raising Us Better Than This"

I came home to Thanksgiving and I am leaving in Christmas.

It was good to have several days off and they were a blur of activity, time with many, and traditions. I cannot believe I fit everything in a couple of days that I needed and wanted to and still had time to hold, coo with, smell and kiss my beautiful granddaughter for hours. Her 1st Thanksgiving and I have so much to be thankful, grateful and blessed for.


I love seeing my kids happy. My adult kids: Mariah & Jeremy, Brooke & Alex, and the perfect and most beautiful little addition, Sofia.

To see them happy and to see them all happy together, what more can I ask for? 

Brooke and I needed to go the store and was surprised to see so many stores open on Thanksgiving evening. Walmart was packed, but we needed a couple basic household cleaning products. 

Black Friday shoppers were already at it! Each checkout aisle was taped off 3/4 of the way through the back of the store and people waiting in line that far back!! When we walked in, we had to walk straight back to the store to make a left and reach the aisles to the left. It was chaos! Carts filled with "stuff" because it was cheap and people rushing from aisle to aisle.

I told Brooke, look at the thoughtless "stuff" they have in their carts, because it's cheap. Stuff for under a Christmas tree, dollar saving, and no thought behind it. I found myself looking at items in other peoples carts just like I do at the grocery store. There is a parallel between carts filled with diabetes and those who push those carts, carts filled with cheap "stuff" by those who wildly push these carts and drag their families around on what is supposed to be Thanksgiving.

I have never done Black Friday shopping, because I loathe shopping and shopping with crazy shoppers would certainly make me lose my Christianity. In Black Friday tradition in our home, we turn on Christmas music and transform our home into Christmas. 

Here we were in the midst of the beginning of Black Friday chaos. This was it. 

Brooke said, "Mom, thank you for raising us better than this."