Monday, December 12, 2011

Lou Gehrigs Disease

It was just a few short weeks ago that I received another life-changing phone call.

My ex-husband, my Mariah’s dad, called to give me his diagnosis from five months of testing … Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

This was not familiar to me, so I asked, “What does this mean?” He replied, “It means I have 2-3 years to live.”

A simple phone call. Life changes. Forever.

It was less than a year ago that I received the phone call that my youngest daughter Brooke’s dad died.

There is a unique blend of feelings that collide during a phone call like this. It is suffocation. It is pain. It is memories. Tears become uncontrollable. Breathe. My daughter. Her dad. It is letting bygones be bygones. It is forgiveness. It is, “How do we get through this?”

As we approach the anniversary of Brooke’s dad passing, we have another tragic death approaching. This death won’t be sudden like the other. This one will be aggressive, a loss of quality of life to a tragic end. 

I have two hearts that hurt, my Mariah and my Brooke. I have two daughters that will experience life without a dad.

It doesn’t seem real to experience such loss and pain with one child, let alone both.

Life in perspective. Letting bygones be bygones.

A new journey called Lou Gehrigs Disease.