Tuesday, December 27, 2011

In the Desert

I read an analogy about being in the desert today. The story of a journey from God’s promise to a “promised land” that ended up in a desert for 40 years. For 40 years. In a desert.

This is me. I’m hoping not 40 years though.

My whole life I have loved love.

I had a revelation of my own. I am pretty good at words of affirmations. Someone special recently took my words of praise as not sincere. That I am merely good at praise, with a host of empty words ready to say. He was wrong.

Caught off guard, I had to quickly get the last 20 years summed up in my own mind before I could explain it to him, which had me thinking about my own story.

In my 20’s I was a princess brat. Love was mostly surface, hot tempered and replaceable. In my early 30’s I just had a little more experience and with a touch of real life that taught me humble pie, I did get myself into bad situations which calmed me down a bit. It wasn’t until my late 30’s that I began to really love. Deeply.

The agape kind of love where I wanted to seek it, read it, lose myself in it and perfect it.

It was during these last few years that I came to understand agape love and words of affirmations. Magical words that bring life from ordinary to extraordinaire!

Watching empty hearts come alive with sincere words of praise has taught me the power of words and even more, the power of love.

Words said are always true and sincere. If heard too much, they lose their power. This is a new balance I am learning.

When I look back over my own journey through the desert of life, I can now see the personal growth when all I used to see was broken dreams.

It was never about broken dreams. My year’s in the desert was God’s love protecting me from my own choices. God loving me too much to leave me where I thought I wanted to be, grooming me, while providing for me all along.

This desert has a beauty of its own. Initially it sounds barren and desolate; however, there is much beauty in the desert.

Strength. Endurance. Patience. Faith. Hope. Love.

Words of affirmations.