Monday, January 27, 2014

Segway vs. Segue

I confess, I am prone to making up words and I would like to thank the Urban Dictionary for having over seven million new definitions just in the last year, which means I am urban chic when it comes to defining new words; however, using the wrong expression of the word sounds ignorant.

Imagine my surprise when I'm lost in a really good book tonight and I read the word segue [Seg, Seg-ga?]. My fingers wildly flew to Dictionary.com for pronunciation verification [seg-wey].

Hmmmm.

To save everyone from future embarrassment, complements of Grammar 101:

... it’s the kind of vernacular that you don’t hear every day. It also doesn’t help that “segue” is the kind of word that almost always spoken and almost never written.

When you are thinking about the two-wheeled scooter that is designed to move people around urban environments, that is the trademarked product known as the Segway. Further popularized by movies like Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Then, what is a segue? Pronounced exactly the same way as Segway, a segue refers to the transition that you’d make from one segment to another. Segway and segue can be just as easily confused.

Unfortunately, I cannot fall on the sword of confusion, because I did not realize segue existed.

Has a word-pair website been patented yet?